Click below to print the PDF Parshas Lech Lecha Print Version
An Overview of a Shiur given by Rav Ari Stauber on Parshas Emor
וביום השביעי שבת שבתון מקרא קודש כל מלאכה לא תעשו ויקרא כג:ג
Gemara (Shabbos 148b-149a) — One may not read a guest list or food menu on Shabbos for two reasons:
- May erase something
- May come to read shtarei hedyotos
Heterim for reading a food menu on Shabbos or Yom Tov:
- Avoiding the concern of
- From Rav Eliashiv – We don’t prepare the exact amount of food, so no concern of nervousness that one might erase.
- Bach– Someone else can read it, as the concern of erasing is only for the wife.
- Rashba – Can appoint a shomer to ensure she does not erase.
- Rav Heinemann and Rav Furst – Can use a page-saver or laminate it, which serve as a heker.
- Avoiding shtarei hedyotos
- Magen Avraham/Rav Shmuel Kamanetsky – It is a seudas mitzvah, and the gezeira doesn’t apply.
- Magen Avraham – Gezeira doesn’t apply to very short documents.
- Write the names of foods on separate index cards.